Announcements


October Meeting

posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:00 PM by Sam Angell

All,

 

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on October 17th Wednesday Night at 7:00 PM.  Our meeting will be at the VFW Hall at 5320 E. Bellevue.

 

This is the start of the cooler weather for prospecting, yeah!

 

We will continue selling the Christmas $1.00 Raffle Tickets for the GMT Metal Detector.  You don't have to be present to win.  The tickets can be sold to anyone.  You can get tickets to sell to your friends, family, or acquaintances.  The second place prize is $100 Gift certificate to Sportsman’s Warehouse, third place is $50 Gift certificate to Sportsman’s Warehouse, and there will be a host of others prizes to be drawn as well.

 

We will be raffling off the ¼  oz. Gold Nugget ($2) at the Annual Picnic and Panning Contest on Oct 21st.  Tickets are $2 each and you don’t have to be present to win this one.

 

We will also be selling at the meeting the steak ($9), hamburger and Hotdog ($2 each) tickets for the annual steak fry on Saturday.  We want everyone to get their steaks grilled correctly, so please let us know on Saturday morning how you want your steak cooked so we can get the well doners, mediums, etc. on the grill at the appropriate time.  Other than the meat portion, this picnic is a potluck style picnic, so bring a dish to feed 8-10 people.  Here is the listing for this year, if your last name starts with I-P, Salad; Q-Z, Desert; A-H, Side Dish.  This is not a hard and fast rule but keeps us from having too many desserts or other items.

 

All are welcome to this event.  During the picnic, please help your children get their food, so that things don't get dropped, or have accidents.  We will be doing the picnic/potluck the same as last year, we will be cooking all the steaks (steaks, burgers, hot dogs will be in warmers) and will serve them and then you will be able to get the other food after getting your desired meat selection.

 

This months outing is our 22nd Annual Picnic and Panning Contest to be held on Saturday, October 20th at the Friendship claim on the shady side.

 

We will be having a Friday Night Coin Shoot as well.

 

Just so everyone has an idea of what and when the Saturday events will occur, here is this years agenda (rough times):

 

Registration at Camp for the panning contest, pan toss, and coin shoot will begin from around 7:30 to 9:00 AM

9:00 AM Start of the Qualifying Rounds for the Men's and Women's, and Children's  panning contests

10:00 AM Start of the Finals Rounds of the Panning Contest

10:30 AM Getting the fire going for the Steak, hamburger, and Hotdog

11:00 Completion of the Panning Contests

11:00 Pan Toss

11:30 Start Grilling steaks for those that want Well Doners., etc.

12:00 Approximate start of the picnic.

1:15 or so  Start Coin Shoot

 

2:30 Give out prizes for Panning Contest, Pan Toss, Coin Shoot, etc.

 

3:00 Convene official club outing.

 

Many of us will be camping out down on the shady of the Friendship claim starting Thursday Morning.  Anyone wanting to join us is more than welcome. 

For those coming out early, there will a camp stew for Friday nights dinner, if you wish to participate.  Always a great meal and a good time.

 

Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.

See you at the Meeting and at Camp!!!!

 

Thanks,

David Steimle

GPAT President

520-490-5325

 

Directions to the Camp Area:

Head East of I-10 to the Sonoita Hwy (Hwy 83) going south on Hwy 83 for approximately 23 miles to the Gardner Canyon Turn off.  Turn right (heading east) onto Gardner Canyon Rd travel for 3/4 mile to Forest Rd 163 turn right (heading north) for 2.1 miles to turn right (again heading north) onto  Forest Rd 4060. Continue on Forest Rd 4060 for about 1 mile, you will be in camp at that point, just find a spot to park.

There will be signs posted once you make to the turn onto Forest RD 163 on back to camp.

September Meeting

posted Sep 17, 2018, 9:04 PM by Sam Angell

Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on September 19th Wednesday Night at 7:00 PM.  THIS MEETING WILL BE AT THE VFW Hall 5320 E BELLEVUE. The Hall is just one block north of Speedway and block and a half west of Craycroft Rd.

Our Guest Speaker will be Linda Hartman on her and Armando's adventurous trip to Alaska over the summer.

This month we will also start selling the $1 Raffle tickets for the Christmas Raffle.  First prize will be a White's GMT metal detector, second prize will be $100 Sportsman Gift card, and third will be a $50 Sportsman GC.  Don't forget that we are still selling the $2 tickets for the 1/4 oz. Gold Nugget to be raffle off at the Annual Picnic and Panning Contest to be held in October.

Speaking of the October Annual Picnic and Panning Contest, we will also start selling the tickets for the Steaks, Hamburgers, and Hot Dogs at this Wednesday's meeting.  Looking forward to seeing everyone out there this year.

If you have any ideas for guest speakers let's hear them.  Speak up if you have something to present or would like to discuss any specific issues.  We currently looking for someone to be our Guest Speaker coordinator. 

Reminder, for those interested in attending the GPAT Board meetings, our location for the meeting has changed to the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club building at 3118 N. Dale Ave.  The meeting time is still at 7:00 PM on the first Thursday of the month.  Our next meeting is scheduled for September 6th at this location.  

Our monthly outing is scheduled for Saturday, September 22nd at 7:00 AM.  We will be going to the R Double J claim.  We will meet at the Greaterville turn off of Hwy 83 (Sonoita Hwy).  Just reminder that bugs and snakes are still very active, wear your Bug Spray and be aware of your surroundings.

I had internet issues at home that's why this e-mail didn't get out last week.  I hope you all can join us this Wednesday night.

Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.
Thanks,
David Steimle
GPAT President

August Meeting

posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:00 PM by Sam Angell

Hi All,

 

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on August 15th Wednesday Night at 7:00 PMTHIS MEETING WILL BE AT THE VFW Hall 5320 E BELLEVUE. The Hall is just one block north of Speedway and block and a half west of Craycroft Rd.

 

At this time, we have not secured a guest speaker.  If you have any topic that you want to discuss this will be an open forum meeting to discuss any topics that you want.  Please be prepared to add your two cents worth.  We will be discussing where to look for gold in areas of a streambed and other areas.

  

If you have any ideas for guest speakers let's hear them.  Speak up if you have something to present or would like to discuss any specific issues.  We currently looking for someone to replace Ken Willits as our Guest Speaker coordinator. 

 

Reminder, for those interested in attending the GPAT Board meetings, our location for the meeting has changed to the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club building at 3118 N. Dale Ave.  The meeting time is still at 7:00 PM on the first Thursday of the month.  Our next meeting is scheduled for September 6th at this location.  

 

Our monthly outing is scheduled for Saturday, August 18th at 7:00 AM.  We will be going to the Hercules claim.  We will meet at the Mile Post 7 turn off on Arivaca Rd.  Remember the turn off for Mile Post 7 is .3 miles West of the Mile Post 7



Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.

Thanks,

David Steimle

GPAT President

July Meeting

posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:39 PM by Sam Angell

Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on July 18th Wednesday Night at 7:00 PM. THIS MEETING WILL BE AT THE VFW Hall 5320 E BELLEVUE. The Hall is just one block north of Speedway and block and a half west of Craycroft Rd.

At this time, we have not secured a guest speaker.  If you have any topic that you want to discuss this will be an open forum meeting to discuss any topics that you want.  Please be prepared to add your two cents worth.

This meeting is our Ice Cream Social.  So come ready to eat some ice cream.


If you have any ideas for guest speakers let's hear them.  Speak up if you have something to present or would like to discuss any specific issues.  We currently looking for someone to replace Ken Willits as our Guest Speaker coordinator. 

Reminder, for those interested in attending the GPAT Board meetings, our location for the meeting has changed to the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club building at 3118 N. Allen.  The meeting time is still at 7:00 PM on the first Thursday of the month.  Our next meeting is scheduled for August 2nd at this new location.  

Our monthly outing is scheduled for Saturday, July 21st  at 7:00 AM.  We will be going to the R Double J  claim.  We will meet at the Greaterville exit off of Hwy 83.

Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.
Thanks,
David Steimle
GPAT President

June Meeting

posted Jun 16, 2018, 12:28 PM by Sam Angell

Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on June 20th, Wednesday Night at 7:00 PM. THIS MEETING WILL BE AT THE VFW Hall 5320 E BELLEVUE. The Hall is just one block north of Speedway and block and a half west of Craycroft Rd.

Our Guest will be a paranormal that has experience with "occurrences" at Ghost Towns and other places.  Maybe they can shed some light on unexplained events that we all have had at ghost towns or out in areas that we prospect at.  

If you have any ideas for guest speakers let's hear them.  Speak up if you have something to present or would like to discuss any specific issues.  We currently looking for someone to replace Ken Willits as our Guest Speaker coordinator. 

Reminder, for those interested in attending the GPAT Board meetings, our location for the meeting has changed to the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club building at 3118 N. Allen.  The meeting time is still at 7:00 PM on the first Thursday of the month.  Our next meeting is scheduled for August 2nd at this new location.  We will not be having a board meeting in July.

Our monthly outing is scheduled for Saturday, June 23rd  at 7:00 AM.  We will be going to the Polaris claim.  We will meet at the Mile Post 7 turn off on Arivaca Rd.  This is .3 miles west of the Milepost 7 marker.

Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.
Thanks,
David Steimle
GPAT President

May Meeting

posted May 11, 2018, 4:33 PM by Sam Angell

Hi All,

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on May 16th Wednesday Night at 7:00 PM.  THIS MEETING WILL BE AT THE VFW Hall 5320 E BELLEVUE.  The Hall is just one block north of Speedway and block and a half west of Craycroft Rd. 
We currently do not have a guest speaker, so speak up if you have something to present or would like to discuss any specific issues.  We currently looking for someone to replace Ken Willits as our Guest Speaker coordinator.  I have contacted Arizona Animal Experts for a possible presentation and have not heard back from them as yet.  
Remember, for those that attended and worked at the Common Dig in April, we will be raffling off the gold that was recovered by the whole group.  You will need to be present to possibly win the gold. 
Reminder, for those interested in attending the GPAT Board meetings, our location for the meeting has changed to the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club building at 3118 N. Allen.  The meeting time is still at 7:00 PM on the first Thursday of the month.  Our next meeting is scheduled for June 7th at this new location.
Our monthly outing is scheduled for Saturday, May 19th at 7:00 AM.  We will be going to the R Double J claim.  We will meet at the Greaterville Rd exit off of the Sonoita HWY (HWY 83) at 7:00 AM.
Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.
Thanks,
David Steimle
GPAT President

April meeting

posted Apr 13, 2018, 12:45 PM by Sam Angell

All,
 
Just thought I would e-mail all a reminder notice of the April 18th meeting on Wednesday night at 7:00 PM at the VFW #4903 at 5320 E. Bellevue St.
 

Our Guest speaker will be a member Michael Andrews talking about using Google Earth to view mining claims and the surrounding areas.

We will continue selling tickets for the 1/4 oz. Nugget at $2 per ticket a This 1/4 oz. Nugget will be raffled off at this April's Annual Common Dig outing, so make sure you get your tickets.

 
We will continue to purchase gold nuggets from our members at the meeting.  So, if anyone has gold nuggets that they want to sell, remember to bring them to the meeting. We are particularly interested in the size of nuggets that we give out blue and red ticket raffles.

 
Reminder the weather is starting to warm up, so make sure that you start hydrating extra a few days prior to the outing.

The outing this month is our Annual Common Dig (22nd  Annual) on Saturday, April 21st.  Registration for the event will be at the camp right up to the 8:00 AM hour when we will travel to the Polaris claim for the common dig.  We will have Wet sluices and dry washers set-up for the dig. 

We will also need a few wet wash sluices and plenty of water, so if you can bring water for the wet systems, that will be great.  In the past, we have consumed several hundred gallons for the Common Dig, so bring what you can.

Camping is available and free (can't beat that).  There will be a few rules for camping to keep everyone safe.  All dogs must be kept on leashes/chains at all times within the campsite for the period of the campout (Thursday morning through Sunday PM), no exceptions.  Generators can be used from 6 AM to 10 PM. 

There will be the normal Friendship Stew on Friday night.

We will be having a NIGHT COIN SHOOT on Friday night.  New rules, there will be a $1 entry fee for all those in the coin shoot.  If you find this Money nugget, you are done for the event.  There will be a nugget with a $ sign that will represent the cash prize.  This should be a great enticement to metal detect.  The same will also happen for the Saturday afternoon Coin Shoot as well.
 
The Hot Dog Ladies will be selling hot dogs/chips ($2) at lunch.  You can also bring your own lunch.  Make sure that you bring plenty of water, sunscreen, etc. 

If you have any questions, please e-mail.

The weather should be pretty good and we will have a great time, so come out and join us.

Saturday's Events/Agenda:
 
Registration up to 8:00
Safety Rules and Information 8:00-8:10 AM
Common Dig 8:15 to 11:00
Clean up/fill in the holes will start around 10:30 AM
Come back to Camp for Lunch 11:15 to 12:30PM
Coin Shoot
Pan Toss
Blue/Red Ticket Raffle
1/4 Oz Nugget Raffle
Bags of Concentrates given out

Directions to the Common Dig:

South on I-19 to the Amado Exit (48), turn right, then right again onto the Frontage Rd.  Turn Left onto Arivaca Rd. (just past the Cow Palace and the General Store). Travel west on Arivaca Rd. to .3 mile past the Mile Post 7 marker.  Turn right onto the dirt road (heading North), follow the road for about 1 mile to the intersection with the Las Guijas Cerro Colorado Rd and make a left (heading west), the camp is about 2.5 miles from the turn.  There will be GPAA/GPAT signs out just as you get onto the dirt road and at key locations.

If you have any questions, please contact me by e-mail or phone.

 
Thanks,
David
GPAT President  
520-490-5325

MARCH MEETING

posted Mar 14, 2018, 9:02 PM by Sam Angell

All,

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on March 21st  Wednesday Night at 7:00 PM.  THIS MEETING WILL BE AT THE VFW Hall 5320 E BELLEVUE.  The Hall is just one block north of Speedway and block and a half west of Craycroft Rd.

We currently do not have a guest speaker, so speak up if you have something to present or would like to discuss any specific issues.  We currently looking for someone to replace Ken Willits as our Guest Speaker coordinator.  Ken has done a great job over the last few years and would like to thank him for his efforts.

For those interested in attending the GPAT Board meetings, our location for the meeting has changed to the Old Pueblo Lapidary Club building at 3118 N. Allen.  The meeting time is still at 7:00 PM on the first Thursday of the month.  Our next meeting is scheduled for April 5th at this new location.

Our monthly outing is scheduled for Saturday, March  24th at 7:00 AM.  We will be going to the R Double J claim.  We will meet at the Greaterville Rd exit off of the Sonoita HWY (HWY 83) at 8:00 AM.

Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.

Thanks,

David Steimle

GPAT President

GPAA GOLD SHOW

posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:28 PM by Sam Angell

All,

 

This is to remind you that if you signed up to help out at the GPAA Gold Show on Feb 16, 17 or 18.  Here are the meet times for each day and the areas where we will need help.

 

If you have any questions, in the meantime, please call me at 520-490-5325

 

Thanks,

David

For Friday the 16th  Setup Day

 

Setup of the hall will begin around 8 AM, so come just before that, if possible.  Vendors will be setting up their booths in the afternoon, as well as our booth.  Several vendors may need assistance.

 

After we finish on setting up on Friday, GPAA will be providing lunch for all volunteers.

 

We will also have a sign-up sheet for the activities that you want to do (listed below).  Bare in mind, that you don’t need to work more than one shift and can move to another position if you want to continue to volunteer for more than one shift.

 

Friday – Set-Up

  1. Meet with Chapter/ Volunteers to assign set up operations @ 8:00 am
  1. Volunteer Sign In’s for Set-Up- Issue Badges/ Lanyards (from 8-8:15 am)
  • Pipe and Drape (10 Volunteers from 8:30-10:30 am)
  • Panning Area (3-4 Volunteers from 10-11am)
  • Admission Area (2-3 Volunteers from 11-11: 30 am)
  • Rest Area (3-4 Volunteers from 11- 11:45 am)
  • Raffle Area (2-3 Volunteers from 10-10: 30 am)
  • Lecture Hall (3-4 Volunteers from 11-12: 30 pm)
  • GPAA Booth (2 Volunteers from 9:15am – 11:45am)

Saturday – Volunteer Meeting/ Coordinate Volunteer Assignments

  1. Meet with Chapter/ Volunteers to assign show operations @ 8:15am
  1. 8:15 am – 8:45 am: Show Operation Assignments for Volunteers
  • 8 Volunteers for Admission Operations

(Will train with me from 8:45 – 9:15 am, training consists of the following)

  • Register Training
  • Ticket Scanner Training
  • Bag Stuffer Training
  • Banding Training
  • Will Call Training
  • Chapter Raffle Registration Sign-Up Sheet

 

  • 3 Volunteers for Raffle Area

(Will train with me from 9:15 – 9:30 am, training consists of the following)

  • Register Training
  • Raffle Ticket Sales Training
  • Till Starting Balance Sheet Confirmation 
  • 8 Volunteers for the Panning Zone

(Will be escorted to panning area @ 9:30- 9:40 am- training consists of the following)

  • Do’s and Don’ts of the Panning Area, I.E. Volunteers are not allowed under any circumstances to pan for gold for personal use nor leave their panning station without relief

 

  • 4-6 Volunteers for Security

(Will be escorted to the doors and lecture hall @ 9:40- 9:50 am- training consists of the following)

 

  • 4-6 Floaters (to be utilized by chapter for breaks)

(To be coordinated by Managing Chapter Volunteer Rep throughout the show)

 

  • 4 Volunteers for GPAA Booth Operations

(Will be sent to train with Dominic and Gen from 9:30-9: 45 am)

  • Sales Training
  • Cashier Training

 

Saturday- Sunday Chapters Coordinator Show Operations

  1. 10- 10:30am:
  1. assist chapters in the admission area to ensure that admission is running smoothly
  • Cashier Activity
  • Will Call Activity
  • Banders
  • Baggers
  • Scanners

 

  1. 10:35- 10:45am-
  1. Check in on raffle area operations
  • Cashier Activity
  • Raffle Ticket Distribution
  • Raffle Tickets Sales

 

 

  1. 10:50- 11am:
  1. Check in on panning area operations

 

  1. 11:05- 11:25am:
  1. Meet with managing volunteer from chapter
  • Issue Lunch Vouchers
  • Issue Lunch Money and or Reimburse Chapter with receipts if they purchased in advance
  • Ensure that the managing volunteer has coordinated rest and lunch breaks

 

  1. 11:30- 12pm:
  1. Walk the premise to see if any cashiers need any of the following-
  • Change
  • Cash Drops
  • Relieve 3 admission volunteers post morning rush
  • Will pull the $200 starting drawer count in raffle area to be returned to GPAA

 

  1. 12pm – 1pm:
  1. Lunch if time allows for it during this time frame

 

  1. 1:05 – 1:25pm:
  1. Walk the venue to check in with 2nd shift volunteers:
  • Panning Area
  • Lecture Hall Security
  • Door Security
  • GPAA Booth
  • Make sure everyone got breaks

 

  1. 1:30 – 2pm:
  1. Prep the admission area for closing

 

  1. 2:05- 2:30pm:
  1. Work with Brandon to close out registers
  2. Work with Volunteers to clean up admission area

 

  1. 2:35- 2:50pm:
  1. Prepare Paperwork for Raffle Area 1st day count

 

  1. 2:50-3:05pm:
  1. Work with Brandon and Chapter Raffle Rep to process first-day raffle proceeds count
  2. Sign off Raffle Accountability Documentation
  3. Make 1st Day Raffle Proceeds Drop

 

  1. 3:10- 3:40pm:
  1. Go over day one Chapter Paperwork including-
  • Volunteer Sign Up and Assignments for accountability
  • Till Balance Sheet
  • Cash Drop Accountability
  • Till Balance Sheet

 

  1. 3:45- 4pm:
  1. Meet with volunteers to discuss day two arrival times and expectations

 

  1. Sunday – Tear Down 3:45pm- 4pm
  1. Meet with chapters to divvy up tear down assignments
  • Pipes and Plates (4pm-5:30pm)
  • GPAA Booth Tear Down (4pm-5:30pm)
  • Panning Area Tear Down (4pm-6pm)
  • Staging (4pm-6pm)
  • Drapes (4:30pm-5:30pm)

January Meeting

posted Jan 13, 2018, 11:03 AM by Sam Angell

All,

Just a friendly reminder of our upcoming Membership meeting on January 17th Wednesday Night at 7:00 PM.  THIS MEETING WILL BE AT THE VFW Hall 5320 E BELLEVUE.  The Hall is just one block north of Speedway and block and a half west of Craycroft Rd.

The January meeting is our election night, we have only one position with multiple nominations this year, it is the Vice-President position.  The two nominees are Clyde Carden (current VP) and Ken Summers (current 1 yr Board member).  We will have ballots available for members in good standing to vote (current GPAA members).

We currently do not have a guest speaker, so speak up if you have something to present or would like to discuss any specific issues.  We currently looking for someone to replace Ken Willits as our Guest Speaker coordinator.  Ken has done a great job over the last few years and would like to thank him for his efforts.

Planning for the Gold Show in February is progressing.  Some good news, we will have Gold Show tickets for sale at the January meetings well before the show in February.  If you are interested in volunteering for the show, I will have a sign-up list at this month’s meeting.  The volunteer tasks will be door monitors, raffle booth attendees, Gold Panning Assists, floaters, etc.  We will need volunteers all three days (Friday 2/16, set-day, Saturday and Sunday, the Show, and Sunday evening to help tear down).  We plan to use two shifts during the show in order for the people volunteering to enjoy a portion of the show as well.  More information to come in the next month.  At this time, there  are tentatively two Alaska trips given away at the show (one on Saturday and one on Sunday, subject to change)

If you have anyone interested in being a vendor at the GOLD Show, please contact me so that I can give you or e-mail them the vendor contracts and booth information.

Our monthly outing is scheduled for Saturday, January 20th at 8:00 AM.  We will be going to the Polaris claim.  We will meet at the Mile Post 7 turn off on Arivaca Rd.  The turnoff is .3 miles past the MP 7.

Please e-mail or call me if you have questions.

Thanks,

David Steimle

GPAT President

520-490-5325

1-10 of 25